The sun is blazing, the sky is bright and the great outdoors are calling. But before you venture out, consider these facts:
- Experts are seeing an alarming rise in skin cancer (a tumor or growth of abnormal cells near the surface of the skin or just below the skin), especially among young women.
- Melanoma cases have been on the rise in the last 50 years in the U.S. Malignant melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer, and is more likely to spread. About 65 to 90 percent of melanomas are caused by exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light.
Skin cancer can be deadly if left untreated, but it can often be cured if found early.
Protect yourself! 5 tips to prevent skin cancer this summer
They’re smart, they’re simple and best of all, these tips are easy to incorporate into your daily summer routine. Here are some ways to help prevent skin cancer:
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen – Apply a sunscreen with broad spectrum (UVA and UVB) protection 30 minutes before you go outside. Reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or even a little sweating!
- Be sun smart – Do all you can to avoid sunburn. Try to stay out of the sun between 10 AM and 4 PM (when UV rays are strongest). But if you must be outside, bring an umbrella, wear SPF-infused clothing and hit the shade.
- Avoid UV tanning beds – According to a recent report by the Skin Cancer Foundation, just one indoor UV tanning session increases the chances of developing melanoma by 20 percent.
- Get regular screenings – If you have a family history of melanoma or other skin cancers, have fair skin and hair and have suffered severe sunburns, you should have a full-body exam by a dermatologist at least once a year.
- Conduct monthly skin self-exams – Check your body for new or changing moles. Roughly half of melanomas are self-detected!
Compassionate, results-driven cancer care is close to home
From helping you avoid skin cancer, to providing personalized, yet advanced therapies to help you fight cancer, our team at Astera Cancer Care is right where you need us. With six locations, we strive to make accessing world-class cancer care, including chemotherapy in Central Jersey, as convenient and hassle-free as possible.
To learn more or schedule an appointment, call 732-390-7750, or click here to find a location near you.